01 March 2012

Never Let Me Go


I’ve wanted to read this book for ages.  For some reason I kept putting it off though.  Maybe it was because my ban on book buying before hoping the pond, or because there was always something that I wanted to read just a little bit more.  I have no idea, but two weeks ago I ordered it used off of Amazon and it arrived a few days later.  

As soon as I opened this book I was hooked.  I was hoping that it would bring greater understanding to the fictional world that Kazuo Ishiguro created than the movie had.  There was definitely a bit more of a back story and explanation, but still not as much as I would have liked.  Despite this, I loved this book.
I don’t want to give away huge amounts, but I do want to give a small summary.  NeverLet Me Go follows a group of students from their isolated childhood to their adulthood.  The characters aren’t like everyone else; they were brought into the world for the purpose of donations. I don’t really want to explain much more, I want you to read it too!   I felt so connected to the characters.  They were easy to empathize with, and showed strength in light of a terrible situation that I could only ever hope to have inside of me.  They were the same, but different.  

I would definitely recommend this book for people who like to read fantasy books that have huge amounts of reality of them.  This means no dragons.  There’s enough of today in the book that makes it seem more realistic.  Also, if you like to read about unrequited love, this is a great one.

Anyone else read Never Let Me Go, or see the movie?  What did you think?

1 comment:

  1. I love this book - though it makes me sad.. I recommend it to people all the time. Part of the movie was filmed in my town, Clevedon. The movie poster (and newer copies of the book) show our pier. Anyway.. I found the book compelling if disturbing.

    ReplyDelete